[Santana 22] Fleet 1: First midwinter race is a blast!

Jan Grygier hydrophilos at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 11 14:02:18 EST 2008

Wow, what a great turnout!  For the first time in memory we have more than a
dozen boats signed up for a midwinter series (a baker's dozen, to be
precise), and best of all, 11 of them showed up for the first race on Nov
2nd!  We had perfect weather - nice breeze with the usual strange shifts
near the windward mark, and despite looming clouds all day, not a speck of
rain, and occasional sun.  As I said in my "come out and play" email, great
practice for Nationals which will use close to the same course.  (You DO all
have July 24-26 down on your calendars, right?)

Congrats to Michael Andrews on Bonito who led from start to finish after
making the trek from Alameda (though I think we reeled them in a bit on the
first downwind leg).  Also to ahem, Carlos and Tackful who had a
back-and-forth duel for second, and to all the other boats, some new to the
course or new to racing at all (especially my former crew Clyde Niesen in
Chopped Liver/ex Childs Play, who got fifth in his first real race, Great
Pumpkin not really being a race if you know what I mean).  There was even
one boat I'd not heard of yet, and I'm still supposed to be fleet captain!
So Catherine, tell us about yourself and/or your boat Wotta Lark, or at
least send me (not the list) your contact info so I can put it on the master
roster and send you a copy.

For complete results, go to
http://www.syconline.org/Race/winter09/resultsmw09/MW-RACE1.htm and note how
many more Tunas there were out there than any other class.  And if you want
to join us for the next four "first Sundays", sign up at SYC, it's a pretty
cheap entry and the more the merrier.

I look forward to seeing you all out there for the next race Dec 7th.  And
to seeing Pariah and Sweet Reward too, you missed out on a very sweet day!
BTW sorry we couldn't convince the RC to give us two races per day, but I
figure a dozen boats sailing one race is about as much fun as half a dozen
sailing two races, so I'm not going to complain, I hope you won't either.

P.S. Anybody want to volunteer to set up our Xmas party/awards
ceremony/winter meeting, or to help Michael and me get it going?  I'll be at
tonight's YRA season ceremony at RYC to pick up everybody's loot who can't
make it, but I can't hang onto it forever...

Jan "Carlos" Grygier
hydrophilos at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~hydrophilos/spigot.html