[Santana 22] Santana 22 issue

Sally Adamson Taylor SallyTaylo at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 23:35:30 EST 2009

Holiday greetings to all. And excuse me for bothering you, but I have just been informed of an issue with Auggie's keel that compels me to write. As hull no. 476, Auggie is one of the later production S22s and has spent much of her life in the water. Her keel is now bleeding rust; even the new spray paint job doesn't stop it. SF Boatworks are saying that the iron hull is simply saturated and there is nothing to be done short of hauling her out of the water for a year to let her dry out, then grinding down the hull and applying epoxy. Now, Auggie's keel was far from the proper shape when I bought her in 2001, and much time and energy was spent trying to create the proper hull shape with filler. Grinding the hull down to bear metal would lose all of that work.
I am wondering if other people have found solutions to this hull rusting issue. And is this something all of us "wet boats" can expect at a certain age (40 years). Thanks for any comments.

Sally Adamson Taylor
SallyTaylo at yahoo.com
SKYPE: Sallytaylo
USA mobile: +1-415-218-1375