[Santana 22] Last week's SYC race at the site of 2009 Nationals

Gerard Kuperus gkuperus at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 19:04:08 EST 2009

Michael et al,

About Vallejo:
My perception of this might be wrong, but this is what I recall (please correct me if I am wrong):
Last year it was decided to do the Vallejo race without spinnaker to increase participation.
It seemed however that  people in our fleet on the dock in Vallejo all said "wow that was a long day, we should have done it with a kite."
So, I am wondering: how many people who actually did the race last year would not have done the race if it was a spinnaker race?

I have only raced one year in this fleet, and I will be busy this year (hence I am not sure how many races I can actually do) but one thing I would be interested in is to compete in a spinnaker series (the website indicates that one exists, so I guess there used to be one). The Vallejo race could be one of the races counting towards that series.

Although I am an advocate of more spinnaker races, I think the Vallejo race is great either way, but the Saturday downwind part (assuming we get the prevailing westerly wind) is long. Would people be interested to divide this into a spinnaker and a non-spinnaker section (this might be a bad idea, as I think we need a particular number of boats for a start).

Just some thoughts...Gerard

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:46:58 -0800From: Michael.Andrews at portsamerica.comTo: Antrim27 at aol.com; hydrophilos at earthlink.net; tuna at myfleet.orgSubject: Re: [Santana 22] Last week's SYC race at the site of 2009 Nationals
A Fleet meeting, though seemingly a good idea to me, seems a fleeting one.

Let's try to do this via e-mail.

I suggest two half seasons, same as last year.  I suggest we race to Vallejo using just plain sails to get out more boats.

Let me know how you feel, particularly if you are strongly apposed to either of these suggestions.

Thank you,

Michael Andrews
811 Bonito
S22 Fleet Captain 2009

From: tuna-bounces at myfleet.org [mailto:tuna-bounces at myfleet.org] On Behalf Of Antrim27 at aol.comSent: Monday, February 09, 2009 1:43 PMTo: hydrophilos at earthlink.net; tuna at myfleet.orgSubject: Re: [Santana 22] Last week's SYC race at the site of 2009 Nationals

Jan,

Thanks for the recap.  Sounds fun.

Has the fleet decided on a schedule for this year and what format will be used (IE 2-half seasons, etc)?  Is the fleet doing Vallejo?  Or are we going to have a fleet meeting soon?

Sorry for all of the questions.  Just hoping to get the ball rolling.

Tom Montoya
Meliki - 5194

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.