[Santana 22] ST10000 plus

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Wed Jun 17 11:30:42 EDT 2009

Wayne,

I'll get my Autohelm 1000+ down to Leah's boat soon and take a photo
of it.  The installation is straight forward.   The most trouble is
making sure you hook the + and - wires from the battery to the
correct pins on the receptacle plug (which the cord on the 1000+
plugs into).

I think the installation instructions are very clear.  Careful
measurement.  Setting things up before any drilling.  The normal
"measure twice, cut once" rule.

The socket is installed on the starboard hatch cover.  It will be
located "more or less" in the middle of the seat hatch cover, perhaps
a little forward of fore and aft middle.  Follow the instructions.
The measurement between the socket on the seat hatch cover and the
centered tiller will work on a Tuna without any extensions.

Because the hatch cover is thin, you should glue a solid block under
the socket hole's location.  Could be a small block of plywood or
appropriate type of plastic from Tap Plastic.  Drill the right size
hole in the correct location through the seat cover.  Glue the block
under it with epoxy and let it cure, then drill down into the the
bock.  Insert and glue the provided bronze socket into the hole.

The "pin" is installed on the tiller.  No extension is needed. If
your tiller is the normal one on a Tuna, you won't need to do
anything other than drill the correct sized hole, following the
instructions and glue the pin into it.

Make sure the tiller is centered and that the Autohelm makes a 90º
angle with the tiller before locating the hole for the pin.   Again,
the provided measurements are in the instruction booklet.

Angle the hole so the pin is straight up in relationship to the boat
(the tiller is curved, so the pin probably won't be straight up in
relationship with the tiller).

If your tiller has been replaced, you might need one of the available
brackets.  The "normal" Tuna tiller arches up in a curve and then
sort of "levels" out toward the end, where you hold on to it.
Remember, you usually hold the tiller up when you're holding it while
steering, but the tiller will be in the "down" position when you're
using the Autohelm.  If it's too low, you might need to put a small
wedge under the butt and against the rudder post to keep the tiller
up in the right position when installing the Autohelm - but probably
not.

The pin is located a few inches behind where you normally hold on to
the tiller.  The Autohelm 1000+ should be pretty much level when the
cord end is in the seat hatch socket and the "business end" is hooked
over the pin on the rudder.

The plug for power can be mounted in a hole drilled through the side
of the starboard cockpit seat under the Autohelm.  I put mine under
the cockpit seat and I routed the cord through a grove I cut in the
hatch forward side of the hatch cover (I thought protecting the plug
was important, but it's really not necessary - the provided cover
will work).

Make sure you connect the + and - wires from your electrical panel to
the correct pin sockets.  There are multiple sockets because the unit
is designed to accommodate a remote.  You'll need a teeny tine screw
driver.

Pat
ex-Elaine