[Santana 22] Filing the mast butt

Derek Meyer djmeyer16 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 01:53:55 EDT 2009

Hi all,
The weather is getting nice and Aquila is getting close to being sailable again (well closer, who knew prepping a boat bottom took a dog's age?)

Since the time is getting closer, I'm preparing to put up my new mast (old one had a HUGE bend in the middle, looks like a Frankenstein made from two other tuna masts).  However, I've discovered a discrepancy that makes me unsure which part of the mast butt to file down:

>From the John Skinner article: "In addition, you should unstep your mast and file the forward part of the butt of the mast (1/8 inch is plenty) to ensure that the mast bears on the aft edge.  This helps to induce bend in the mast in heavier winds when the backstay is tightened. "

However according to the rules:
"MAST. Butt rests firmly on the deck and bears the force of the rig flat on the deck
A maximum of 3/32” may be shaved off the aft edge of the mast butt in order to
promote the stability of a raked mast under load (added 2003)"

So, clearly one of these is incorrect.  Do I want to file down the forward part of the mast or the aft part?  Any other advice you can give me on this is appreciated.  Thanks!

-Derek Meyer
Aquila 28465