[Santana 22] Filing the mast butt

Michael Andrews Michael.Andrews at portsamerica.com
Wed Mar 11 19:16:07 EDT 2009

Bonito's mast base is stock / unaltered / flat.  It sits on a cast
aluminum male plug so, any uneven distribution of weight is transferred
through the plug's plate to the deck beneath it and not directly to a
smaller point of the deck.  The mast both bends aft upwind and rocks
forward down, when the backstay is on with up to 900 pounds of pull and
eased off as far as the purchase system permits alternately.  I think it
unnecessary to alter the mast base.

Bonito's forestay is short of maximum, I believe by about the inch and a
half Jan recalls but, I honestly don't exactly.  Anyway, her helm is
fairly neutral.  More rake would hurt our down wind speed in my opinion,
which is our weaker point of sail, again in my opinion, so, I am pretty
satisfied with the current balance of things.

Michael Andrews
811 Bonito