[Santana 22] The Great Vallejo Race

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Tue Apr 27 23:51:23 EDT 2010

Claude,

This is former Tuna guy Pat Broderick - current YRA Chairman - with
some info.

1)	No, the Tunas will start with the other boats in their PHRF
range.  But they will be sorted out and scored separately.  There
just aren't enough starting slots for one-design fleets -- unless
they're 19 J-105s for instance. And nobody else really wants to start
with that many J-105s!

2)	The Northern California PHRF ratings for Santanas is based on
headsail size (234 for 155% genoa jib and 137 for 125% - class
lappers), but an oversized spinnaker and pole would incur a rating
penalty.

3)	Again, the PHRF rating for the genoa is 234 and the class jib is
237, regardless of whether you fly a class chute or not.

4)	 If you're racing One Design (only against other Tunas) you don't
need a NC PHRF Cert.  But the Fleet needs to agree as to which number
is being used.  For the YRA Championship the norm is "white sails"
using the class lapper (125%).  These are the ODCA race dates and do
not include the Vallejo/2nd Half Opener/Season Closer weekends.

There is usually also a "spinnaker" championship that's put together
from Party Circuit races and others when participating boats agree to
sail boat-for-boat using genoas and class chutes - although on a
windy day, some will go down to the class lapper for upwind work.

	However, if you're racing in mixed PHRF races you'll need a NC PHRF
Cert.  Things would be simple if you didn't have the oversized chute
and pole.  With those, you'll have to apply for special PHRF Cert.
With a class chute/pole it would be 134 if you sail with the genoa
and 137 if you sail with the class lapper.

5)	I leave the class dues question up to Tom and the fleet.

Pat Broderick
YRA Chairman