[Santana 22] Engine recommendations..

Michael Andrews Michael.Andrews at portsamerica.com
Thu Aug 19 10:34:12 EDT 2010

My 3.5 horse power, long shaft Mercury has an internal fuel tank that will keep the engine running at roughly two thirds throttle for about 40 minutes.  I believe it is only .3 gallons in capacity.  I always bring one and sometimes bring two one gallon fuel bottles and top up the engine's internal tank about every 30 minutes to keep it from stopping at an inopportune moment.

I stow the engine forward, beneath the forepeak / v-berth.  I used to stow it on the floor of the boat over the keel but, had a bad knockdown once on the City Front that resulted in the engine being thrown to Port and impacting the side of the boat hard from inside.  There is an impact fracture / spider web of small cracks visible in the gel coat still from where the fiberglass was pushed / flexed out.  I hadn't adequately secured the engine in place, clearly.  It's important to remember what a nasty projectile an engine can become if it is stored and not adequately secured somewhere in the main cabin.  Twice I have had things stored in the boat move around within it significantly as the result of crashes.

Michael Andrews