[Santana 22] Stopper knot and topping lifts

tmc664 at comcast.net tmc664 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 21 23:04:13 EDT 2010

I'm probably the only Tuna sailer on the planet that didn't know this but in case there's one more out there here's a heads up.

During last nights beercan race I skied the topping lift on a spinnaker set.  Spinnakers don't fly well with a drooping spinnaker pole.    At the bar I told my sad story to who ever would listen and was told " Well dummy you should've had a stopper knot in it."  Head slap.

Today I recoverd the topping lift with my wisker pole and a coat hanger and put a stopper knot in it.  I set the pole to its highest level position and marked a spot  about a foot short of the  topping lift block.  Tied a knot, rehoisted the pole, made a small adjustment to the knot location and stored the pole.  Now with the knot at the block the pole clip dangels at chest level, very retrievable.

cheers

Tom McIntyre

Spitfire  # 802