[Santana 22] Nav lights

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Fri Oct 22 18:50:27 EDT 2010

Javier & Tom & John,

I agree with Javier that having proper navigation lights (sidelights/
stern light) is best and safest, but here's a reference to what the
law says:

http://www.boatingsafety.com/boats/cglights.htm

Boats under 7 meters in  length, and capable of not more than 7
knots, can use an all round light/torch.  Motor or sail.

Portable lights are usually not "legal" since they don't show the
prescribed 1 or 2 miles distance, especially if their dry cell
batteries are not new - and the batteries run down at an alarming
rate. Even if you use them, I'd strongly suggest keeping a strong
flashlight in the cockpit to shine on the main when you see another
boat in the area after dark.  Most of the time you're motoring with
the main up anyway to stabilize  the boat.

  There are some new LED portables that do emit a much brighter light
- and use much less juice from the batteries, but they're expensive
(as are all LED lights).  But, whether fixed or portable, LEDs use a
fraction of the amps that regular light do, and that can be very
helpful on a Santana 22 where charging the 12 volt battery is
sometimes a problem.

John, About competing in the RYC Pumpkin next weekend.  You don't
need to belong to anything - Association, Yacht Club, etc.   Since
you're competing on a one-design division, you also don't need a PHRF
Certificate (and as YRA Chairman, I'm supposed to urge you to get
one!).  The RYC Pumpkin entry form asks for your PHRF rating (234 if
you're using a chute or genoa and 237 if you're using the class jib
and no chute), but doesn't require you to send a copy of the
certificate in.  You're fellow Santana sailors will police whether
you're doing the right thing.

Most Club "Beer Can" type races (mid-winters, weeknight summer races,
etc.) don't require yacht club membership and I don't think I've seen
an entry form that asks about association membership either.  They
usually - but on always - require a PHRF Certificate.  However, where
there's a Santana 22 One Design class/division of 5 or more boats
they usually don't.

Pat
ex-"Elaine"