[Santana 22] Bezerekeley pier

Ari Rubenstein aroostifer at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 17:47:23 EDT 2010

Tom,

Definitely -- it's fun to shoot that gap.  A couple things to keep in mind:

- Only the the closest gap to land is officially navigable.  Right where the section that's open to pedestrians ends.  I've heard stories about people sneaking through other sections, but I've seen your boat, and she's too pretty to risk a run-in with a submerged piling!

- In the dark, the yellow sodium lights marking the pedestrian section are a good visual reference.

- Watch your depth in between Emeryville and Berkeley.  When windsurfing, I've frequently been surprised to find waist or knee-deep sandbars WAY far out.  Better to stay high until you're near the pier, then swoop down.

- Better to stay high and kiss the upwind side of the gap.  I like to approach on a broad or beam reach, then harden up to actually go through it.  I like that better than pinching up to make it.  Also, there are usually people fishing off the downwind side of the gap, and I'd rather not get hooked.

Enjoy!

- Ari

S22 Mardi Gras (really meant to race this year, but toddler-raising duties have interfered)

--

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”

—William Arthur Ward