[Santana 22] sail numbers

Adam asant2 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 19:05:50 EDT 2011

Hi folks,
I anticipate having #170 ("Lanikai"), one of the unused tunas on Alameda marina's Santana  death row,  restored to a race-able condition by late Fall.  This includes getting new sails.  I suspect this boat probably hasn't raced or been a SODA member for a decade or two. It has number 5170 on the main & spinnaker.
Question is: should I re-use this number when ordering new sails?  Or apply (if that's what one does--I'm new to racing) for a new number, or just use the hull number?  I'd also like to have the boat be "validated" for participation in PHRF bay races (3 bridge fiasco, e.g.); not sure how to go about doing this nor how it impacts sail number.
Any input appreciated, thanks!
Adam