[Santana 22] Basic questions

Michael Andrews Michael.Andrews at portsamerica.com
Thu Aug 18 18:37:58 EDT 2011

Rande,

I don't know what mechanical advantage my out-haul is set up with as it's internal, within the boom.  I suspect that it is four, six or even perhaps eight to one.  I will speculate that four to one might be sufficient.  W.D. Schock, the boats' manufacturer could probably answer this question best for newer, 800 series boats like mine.  The Loose gauge numbers you quote are about right for the uppers and lowers, in my experience however, if your lowers are 5/32 rather than 3/16, you should probably use a lesser figure for them, I might use 30 to 32 depending on what I saw going upwind.  If my mast were bending off / downwind in the middle, a little tighter on the lowers, if it were bending off at the top, a littler looser on the lowers.  You should aim for its remaining in column and the leeward shrouds not getting loose to the point that they flop around when the rig is loaded up, going upwind.

900 pounds of forestay tension is a target number for max backstay on, for going upwind in high winds for me.  If there is 900 pounds of tension on the forestay, so too will there be 900 pounds of tension on the backstay, against which it pulls.  Of course you can't pull 900 pounds, so the pull through the multi-purchase back stay tackle that needs exist to achieve this, at least the end you pull on, will have to and be much less.  My backstay is 32 to one, if I am not mistaken so, I pull 28 plus pounds (plus because of friction) to get close to my 900 pound target number.

The Santana 22 mast section is pretty robust by modern standards.  Provided the repair you had done was carried out reasonably well, your mast should be OK with these numbers.  Two things if you are going to sail in winds over 15 or 20 knots, I strongly suggest upgrading your lowers to protect you mast.  If you aren't, then you probably don't need 900 pounds of fore and aft rig tension to sail well upwind.  I use considerable less to prevent forestay sag in lighter winds but, it is hard to quantify how much less for you as, below maximum, it is a fairly subjective thing for me.

Regards,

Michael Andrews
Bonito 811
Santana 22 Fleet 1 Measurer