[Santana 22] Basic questions

Rande Peterson rande.peterson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 20:50:53 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am new to this mailing list and this is my first posting. I am very new to
sailing. I have sailed a C15 for a couple of years before recently buying my
Santana.  I understand that most of the people on this list are probably
experienced to very experienced racers, something that I am not but hope to
become. All this is to say that I am very much a newbie and so forgive me if
my questions are very basic. I am interested in setting up my boat to be a
good learning boat. My first question is, how much mechanical advantage
should my outhaul have? There is no outhaul setup on my boat currently. Is
there a picture on the Santana 22 website that shows a good outhaul setup?
Second, does someone have some mast tuning tips? The ones that I have found
online called out Loos gauge setting of 30 for the uppers (5/32nd), 35 for
the lowers (3/16th upgraded from 5/32nd) 900 lbs forestay (5/32nd), and 350
lbs for backstays (1/8th). My lowers are 5/32nd (haven’t been upgraded to
3/16th). I sail on the Great Salt Lake in Utah so I don’t think we see
average winds any where near what you see on The Bay (where I assume a lot
of the people on this list hail from). Also, I have a repaired mast (don’t
ask). The local rigging guy winced when he saw it but said that it would be
safe but just commented that the mast should have been replaced and not
repaired. I just mention these things in case they would influence the way I
would tune the mast. Thanks for any help.

Rande