[Santana 22] Beercan Race thoughts

Anne-Carlijn Alderkamp acalderkamp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:01:25 EST 2012

Hi Keay and others,

The Sierra Point Tuesday night beercan races are awesome! We did them for a
year before relocating to the central bay, and I can highly recommend them.
Sierra Point is just South of the San Bruno Mountain, with plenty wind
between 3-6 pm (they call it the "4 o'clock funnies"). So expect starts
with 20-35 kn westerlies, that usually die a little bit later in the race.
A wet and fun Tuna ride on the steep waves of the South Bay, but not as bad
as closer to the San Mateo Bridge.

They have a committee boat to set a reasonably square big starting line.
Then, a short upwind leg to round an inflatable mark, and then to one ore
more channel marks in the middle of the bay, depending on wind direction
and strength. Finish is at the Sierra Point entrance channel, where they
score you from the YC. Both race committee and racers (~ 8 boats in "slow
boat start") are friendly & low-key, no yelling (mostly) & fouling. BBQ
($15 burgers) & beers at the club are fun, and beermugs are awarded for
finishers 1-3. Season is every week from early May to late August, I
believe $100 for the season.

Last years' info can be found at

http://www.sierrapointyc.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=292277&module_id=90313

There are several harbors. We were at Oysterpoint, which is very cheap, but
very exposed to the wind. I believe Sierra point is a bit better and there
is also Brisbaine Marina in the cove.

Hope to see you there!

Anna Alderkamp

Byte Size #801