[Santana 22] Santana 22 fleet meeting, Feb 17, 7 pm, Pineapple Sails, Alameda

Santana22 San Francisco santana22sfbay at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 01:42:58 EST 2012

Dear Tuna Sailors,

We hope to see many of you at the fleet meeting, this Fri, 17 Feb, 7 pm, at
Pineapple Sails, A;ameda, to discuss the upcoming season and meet up with
other Tuna Sailors. Below, you find the proposed race calendar for the
OD-white sails series,  the spinnaker series, and “featured races” that are
not part of the series but we think attractive for Santanas. We will have
the Nat’ls in Santa Cruz on July 27-29, and hope to organize two
Santana-Saturday or Sundays, and a cruise out.

First, the OD-white sails series. So far, 10 boats have indicated they are
“in” for the OD-series this year, with a couple of boats on the fence. This
is very exciting! After talking to several of you, we are proposing to do
the YRA OD series, augmented with two other races, and increase the number
of throwouts. The two main reasons are comments from some folks who really
dislike certain venues, and would rather not race there. Moreover, many of
us have busy schedules, with commitments we can’t get out of interfering
with sailboat racing. Increasing the number of races and allowing more
throwouts gives everyone the opportunity to race a full season. We do
realize there is a risk of spreading the fleet too thin, but with the
enthusiasm for the 2012 season we have received we think it’s worth a try.

Bill King, the YRA-OD representative, has been very helpful to work with us
to increase the number of YRA race days from the 4 listed in the calendar
to 6. To do that, we can do the “Summer Sailstice” race as part of the OD
series (it is now listed as party circuit race), and tag along with one of
the WBRA races. We are still looking into exact dates, and hope to have
that finalized before Friday. Moreover, YRA #1 (19 May-BYC), and YRA #4
(SYC, Bonita race), are currently planned as one-race days, however, if the
fleet wants it, and is OK with using fixed marks, we can talk to the
organizing YC to have 2 buoy races instead of one.

In addition to the YRA-OD series, we are proposing to add the Saturdays of
two races to the OD-white sails calendar: the Wheeler Regatta on April
21-22, and the Sarcoma Cup on August 25-26. Both races are run by the BYC,
have buoy races on Sat, a party on Sat night, and a long Bay race on Sun.
We would especially like to promote the Sarcoma Cup and have it serve as
the “Tuna of the Bay 2012” race, to encourage everyone who is not racing
regularly to come out and race at least one event. There is a great party
at the BYC on Sat night, allowing everyone to socialize.

For the spinnaker series there has been a problem with getting enough boats
out for the past few years. It looks like we may have 4 boats this year,
however, this is still not enough for an OD series. Therefore, we propose
to do the Great Vallejo race on May 5-6 and Season Closure (Sept 29) from
the YRA-party circuit as PHRF start (the 2nd Half Opener coincides with the
Nat’ls). In addition, the Great Pumpkin Regatta will be sailed as a
spinnaker series race, but is open for all (last year “Aquilla” beat
everyone without a spinnaker). We can add the Sunday races from the Wheeler
and Sarcoma cup if people are interested.

Finally, we are planning and seeking help for two Santana Saturday or
Sundays and a cruise out.

All in all, things are looking good for the Tunas in 2012. We have at least
two new fleet members racing in the OD series, others fixing up boats,
cruising, & racing beercans, and a lot of “old timers” returning to racing.
The support amongst sailors is great and we hope to assist you in every way
we can to max out your Tuna experience! Please let us know if you have any
questions, comments or ideas, and we will enlist your help in realizing
them. Also, if you're planning to race or join the activities, please bring
a check of $35 for your fleet dues.

Fair Winds,

Jennifer McKenna & Anna Alderkamp

Santana 22 Fleet, Proposed White Sails Races 2012

 *

April 21 Wheeler Regatta (BYC) (Saturday)

*
May 19 YRA #1, 1 Race, BYC (possibly 2 races, check with BYC)

June 16 YRA #2, 2 Races, BVBC

June 23 YRA, Summer Sailstice (1 Bay race)

August 4 YRA #3, 2 Races, RYC

August 25 Sarcoma Cup (BYC) (Saturday)

September 15 YRA #4, 1 Race, SYC, (Possibly 2 races, check  with SYC)

September 29 potential WBRA race cityfront
October 20 Champion of Champions

*

Santana 22 Fleet, Proposed Spinnaker Races 2012
*
 *April 22 Wheeler Regatta (BYC) (Sunday) (depending on interest)

May 5-6 YRA, Great Vallejo Race

August 26 Sarcoma Cup (BYC) (Sunday) (depending on interest)

Sept 29 YRA, Season Closer (Saturday)

October 27 Great Pumpkin (RYC) (Saturday)*

*

Santana 22 Fleet, Featured Races 2012
*
 Feb 25 Jack Frost #3

March 17 Rites of Spring (OYC)*
**
*March 18 Shamrock Regatta (TIYC)
*
*
*March 24 Jack Frost #4
**
*April 7  SSS, Corinthian race*
**
*April 14 Women Skipper’s Regatta (SYC)*
**
*April 15, 28 or 29? Santana Sunday at TI or Cruise to Angel Island ?*
**
*May 12, 13, 26, 27? Santana Sunday at TI or Cruise to Angel Island ?*
**
*July 14  Plastic Classic *
**
*July 14 Lipton Cup

July 27-29 Nationals, Santa Cruz*
**
*July/August/Sept Santana Sunday or Cruise?*
**
*September 8 SSS, Bay race*
**
*October 6-7 SSS, Vallejo 1-2*