[Santana 22] Great Lakes Sailing

Jan Grygier hydrophilos at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 7 05:58:23 EST 2012

Hi Rande,
Thanks for asking!  I have sailed extensively on Lake Ontario and Erie,
but Superior is... the name says it all.  Bigger waves, more wind, fewer
boats and clubs/marinas.  A Santana 22 can handle a lot, so I think if
you started out staying close to your home club you'd be fine, and
getting her there won't be much of a pain with a standard road-ready
trailer (Carlos rides like a dream behind our minivan).

I suggest contacting the officers of a couple of yacht clubs in the area
(OK, so maybe there's only one...).  If they don't know Tunas, they may
know Sharks which are pretty close to an East coast equivalent (I crewed
and helmed Sharks for 20 years before moving to California).  And from
their website http://www.marquetteyachtclub.org I see that Marquette YC
has a fleet of Pearson Ensigns which are also small boats, though with a
fuller keel (and that the sailing season is basically Memorial Day
through late September).

Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

Jan Grygier
Carlos, Hull #320