[Santana 22] Thoughts about mast step.

Keay Edwards keay at keay3.net
Tue Mar 6 00:40:30 EST 2012

Hola folks,

Major geek question. Any one have any cogent thoughts on the lateral forces applied to the mast step on the Santana 22? I am curious if the mast base plate needs to be through bolted to the underside of the support beam.

I heard somewhere that the force for every 1 lb applied to forward motion of the boat there are 4 lbs applied laterally. This is close hauled.

On further reflection the ratio of 1 to 4 might be for an unstayed mast.

Thanks,

Keay