[Santana 22] Rules Question

Keay Edwards keay at keay3.net
Wed Apr 10 16:02:06 EDT 2013

Hello All,

I posted this to the messages area of the Santana site, Jennifer thought it might be better to post directly to the list.

Curious about what rules govern in this example of downwind to the line racing (see video link below).  All three boats have rounded the weather mark are heading to the finish.  My boat, the overtaking boat must keep clear so I steer to port of James's boat ( the one with the octopus).  Leah's boat is to my port.  Are all boats supposed to keep clear of each other once overlap is achieved?  What if the boat to my port were to have sailed in to pinch me between James's boat ( or could James, being Leeward, have sailed up to push Leah and me away from the line)?  We are all playing nice, but I am just curious what the implications are.

Here is a video illustrating the question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9U_N5CE8kw&feature=share&list=UUrv6Vwgvd4gTF6SecZW36pg

Thanks for your thoughts,

Keay