[Santana 22] Rules Question

Michael Kennedy michaelkennedy05 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 10 17:08:51 EDT 2013

Hi Keay
My 2 cents; R11 governs you and James' boat, and he has every right to luff you (giving you room and opportunity to keep clear) do defend against you rolling over him.

R17 governs you and Leah, if you establish an overlap to leeward within 2 boat lengths.  You would not have luffing rights, and cannot sail above your proper course.  However here your proper course is to avoid James to leeward, so no one is breaking any rules here, I think.

Tactically, you had a couple of other options.  1 was to flick your boom over to the other side, so now you're on starboard, to defend against James.  Or, if you had about speed/puff, you could have reached up above Leah before establishing that overlap, and maybe rolled her (or been far left boat, then flicked the boom across, and pushed both boats over to the right and finished ahead of them that way.  Just be sure to look ahead to R18 issues as you approach the finish line.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.
Looks like a fun day.  I really need to get out sailing again some day

Mike Kennedy
Pariah #146