[Santana 22] 2013 Schedule

Michael Kennedy michaelkennedy05 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 17:33:21 EDT 2013

Hi Jim
We recently came up with a new system (shamelessly copied from the Cal 20 fleet in Southern California) that makes this process much easier.  There is a line lead internally through the whisker pole that exits the outboard end and stays tied to the clew of the jib.  The other end exits about 2/3 of the way to the butt end of the pole, and there is a cleat mounted on the pole on a small bracket that the nice people and Svendens' metal shop made for me.  Sailing upwind, the pole is stored on the boom and the line is slack so the jib can be sheeted in.  At the weather/offset mark, the forward crew puts the pole on the boom (with the line still slack) and clips the butt end onto the mast.  Then the line is pulled tight, bringing the clew to the end of the pole.  At the leeward mark, the process is reversed; uncleat the line releasing the clew from the pole, and store the whisker pole back into the boom.
We used this system at the recent Nationals and it was great-the only down side was the bitter end of the line hanging down into the cockpit trying to ensnare me every time we tacked (not too bad once I got used to it).
To mount the pole on the boom, I cut some pieces of plastic 4 inch drain line from the plumbing supply store.  About a 5 inch piece riveted on either side of the boom a couple of feet from the end, and then a half-section about the same length riveted close to the gooseneck, with Velcro in the inside of the drain line, and then wrapped around the end of the pole.
Mike Kennedy
Pariah #146