[Santana 22] Compass

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Fri Aug 23 14:57:39 EDT 2013

Rande,

I'm no longer a Tuna owner, but I did sail mine for quite a few years.
About a compass.  I think important thing about the compass is the
ability to read it from where you are steering the boat.  That means
I'd avoid any of the really small compasses.  I think something with
around a 4" card.  There usually aren't many magnetic/electrical
problems on a Santana 22, but I think an adjustable compass is best.

The Venture SR-2 Bulkhead-Mount Sailboat Compass (WM under $200) looks
good.  3-3/4" card, 12v LED lighting, lubberlines, adjustable,
clinometer, etc.

Where to mount?  On the main bulkhead - one side or the other
depending on where any electrical interference is minimized.  There
really aren't many options in a Tuna cockpit.

Of course you could also try eBay or Craigs List, but be wary.  Old
compasses can begin to leak (and repair is expensive) or their lens
become dulled by too much sun.

Pat Broderick, former Tuna