[Santana 22] Compass

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Sat Aug 24 01:45:49 EDT 2013

Anna,

Yes, knowing where you are in the fog on SF Bay is important and the
compass can help with that, but it's important for racing, too.  Lifts
and headers change the compass reading.  Electronic compasses have
software built in to tell you that as you tack up the course.
Mechanical compasses can do the same if someone's paying attention to
them.

It's important to prepare the compass and yourself.  Make sure any
stray electrical impulses  and ferris metals are kept away - usually
about 3'.  Be aware of declination/variation (here's SF).

Swing the compass to calculate deviation card and know how to use it.
Here's an example.

Pat