[Santana 22] Compass

Tom Montoya antrim27 at aol.com
Sat Aug 24 02:50:33 EDT 2013

Rande,

I would strongly recommend the Tactick compass Anna recommends.  I would bet the Great Salt Lake has some pretty good wind shifts and no better place to have the driver and crew watching for lifts and headers because of the clear digital readout that mounts on the mast for all to see.  They have their owner little solar panel to keep them charged.  Put a person in charge of calling lifts and headers. Do not waist your money/performance on anything else.  It will pay for itself in heading knowledge, upwind and down wind.

As far as reefing, I would bet not many boats on SF Bay even have reef points in the main.  The S22 is pretty short rigged and under powered.  Gary Mull did that for SF Bay conditions, I believe, as a local Naval Architect. I would be more inclined to drop down to maybe a 90 to 100 percent overlap jib, before reefing the main.  Then again, never done that.  Maybe others with the full main / smaller jib will chime in...................

Tom Montoya

Prior Owner

Meli'ki
Hull 194