[Santana 22] Rudder drip

Steve Pedersen steve at highgroundorganics.com
Sat Sep 21 09:13:16 EDT 2013

Hi Mary,

I haven’t experienced the problem myself, but in Don Casey’s “Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual”, he addresses the problem of “Weeping Rudders” in it’s own section. It sounds like a very common problem—essential the fiberglass skin cracks and allows water to saturate the foam core. The book, which I would highly recommend for anybody with a plastic boat, has detailed instructions for dealing with it.
If you have hauled your boat for the winter, it sounds like you should have plenty of time to let it dry out and make a good repair.
Best of luck,

Stephen Pedersen
Wren—hull #365
Watsonville, California