[Santana 22] Rudder drip

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Sat Sep 21 11:09:19 EDT 2013

Mary,

I strongly suggest you pay attention to your rudder.  The rudder shaft
is stainless steel.  Attached to it inside the rudder is a
"web" (think pieces of stainless steel).  The actual rudder you see is
fiberglass that is attached to this internal structure.  If your boat
# is 808 the rudder is probably filled with foam; if it's an old boat
it's probably more like solid glass.  Water gets in through cracks,
often around the top where the rudder shaft enters the rudder.

When oxygen is present stainless steel creates a thin layer of oxide
that protects it.  In an anaerobic atmosphere (which a sealed off
rudder interior is) this protective layer doesn't form and the
stainless steel will erode, weakening it.  Overtime the rudder post or
webbing will weaken and several serious problems may occur including
the webbing breaking free from the post so the rudder rotates around
the post freely or the rudder post bends or breaks. In either case you
lose steering.

You might want to open a section of the rudder and examine the
interior structure to determine how serious it's compromised.  If
there's clear evidence of deterioration a complete rebuild or
replacement might be in order.  If the structure appears okay, the
next step is to determine how the water is entering the rudder and
seal that point off.

If there's been any damage to the rudder (striking rocks) you should
check to see that the repair is not leaking.  The point where the
rudder post enters the rudder is another check point.  You may want to
strip off any bottom paint and check for cracking/crazing.  I know
Gordie Nash is currently repairing a rudder where the post broke off a
the entry point.

It's something I'd address sooner rather than later.  Most sailboat
repair places have a pile of broken rudders out back somewhere.

Pat Broderick, former Tuna