[Santana 22] Santana 22 #5150 free to a loving home

Russell Whitaker russell.whitaker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:43:58 EST 2016

I've gotten a number of questions about this boat from different
people today, which I'll address here:

1.) "Are you giving away a trailer with the boat?" -- No. If I'd had a
trailer, I'd have pulled the boat from the
water a long, long time ago, and would likely have actually _used_ the
boat in a meaningful way. No trailer.

2.) "Does it have an outboard?" -- Yes. It's a Nissan 5.0HP longshaft.
I got rid of the old 3.5HP outboard when
I first bought the boat because it felt underpowered motoring in and
out of the seawall-protected parts of the
marina, and I wanted to counter the sometimes-considerable ebb and
flood currents at the harbor entrance.
No, you're not going to fire up the motor when you take the boat,
because it's been been started in a couple of
years. You'll ruin it, if you can even get it started (I'm assuming
the spark plug is shot by now, for example.)
You need to strip it, clean it, and lube it. But it exists if you want
to use it properly. Or you can sell the damn
thing.

3.) "Does it sail?" -- It did last time I sailed it. I'd clean her up,
lubricate some winches, etc.

4.) "Do you have photos?" -- I have lots. But the most recent I have
are from last spring when I renewed my
BoatUS insurance policy on it. Three photos from March 2015; I'll send
them to you privately if you're interested.

5.) "Will you deliver it to me at X?" -- Haha... no. "Free" boat.

6.) "Can I take it out first before I decide?" -- Nope. "Free" boat.
Or, yes, but I'll charge you my normal
professional engineer's consulting fees for my time. I bill hourly, 4
hours minimum. And I'm not cheap.

7.) "I'm interested but I can't see you this weekend, can you hold it
for me?" -- No, sorry. If it really takes me
two weeks to get this albatross from around my neck, I'm going to
offer it to the USN (I still have a couple of
buddies there, I think) as a gunnery practice target.

Russell

--
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/russell-whitaker/0/b86/329