[Santana 22] Replacement Tuna rigging - Dyform or compacted wire, anyone?

Jan Grygier hydrophilos at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 31 11:17:13 EDT 2016

Stephan and Fleet,
I agree with you.  It seemed like it might be "on the edge" since I'm
not sure it would make my boat faster, but based on the feedback so far
I have decided to go with the standard stuff.  The last thing a former
fleet measurer wants to do is start an arms race in a low-cost
one-design fleet :)

Jan Grygier
Carlos, Hull 320

On 3/22/2016 6:07 PM, Stefan Berlinski wrote:
> Jan,
>
> First, glad you are all OK. As to changing type of rigging, my feeling
> is that the class rules specify as to size and type so we don’t start
> an “arms” race with components. The standard stuff is still readily
> available. The compact rigging, as shown in the rigging shop cross
> section diagram, also is of a different dimension and I would think
> violate the letter as well as the spirit of rule 14. Happy to hear
> anyone else weigh in on this.
>
> Stefan Berlinski
> Hamachi #196
>> On Mar 20, 2016, at 11:02 PM, Jan Grygier <hydrophilos at earthlink.net
>> <mailto:hydrophilos at earthlink.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Fellow Tuners,
>> In a nasty blast a few weeks ago on the Bay, Carlos' mast suddenly
>> went sideways, outers parted at the top and inner at the bottom.
>> Amazingly mast is fine (and so are all the crew).  So I need to
>> replace Carlos' standing rigging, and someone suggested Dyform or
>> "compacted strand" wire.  They are both SS wire but pack a bit more
>> steel into the same diameter (I think) and are therefore somewhat
>> stronger and less stretchy.
>>
>> Does anyone have experience with either of these - or know whether
>> they are legal, for that matter? For reference, this is what I see in
>> the current rules (first entry is in main body, second entry is in
>> checklist):
>>
>> 14.Wire rigging shall be of the same dimensions and materials as
>> supplied by factory except as to lower shrouds.Turnbuckles must be
>> not less than factory specifications as to dimensions and
>> materials.No rod rigging is permitted.It is suggested that boats
>> sailing in heavy air replace the factory supplied 5/32” lower shrouds
>> with 3/16” wire.
>>
>> B.Standing Rigging
>>
>> 1.All rigging is 5/32” SS wire. Lower shrouds 3/16” max. No rod rigging
>>

>> Thanks much,
>> Jan Grygier
>> Carlos, Hull 320/sail 5020

>> Avast logo