Protests and 3 Minute Justice

Dan Altreuter daltreuter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 14:28:33 EDT 2013

I'd be comfortable moving to a flat 1-turn penalty, but it should be clear
that penalties are *supposed* to be painful in short-course racing. Sailors
should take that into account when making risky plays. Coming in on port at
the windward mark is a perfect example. You might win big by doing it, but
you also might lose big. If you eliminate the risk of losing big when you
take that risk (either by not spinning or only spinning once), you
inherently change the game. I'd argue you're changing the game in a bad way.

Let's plan to talk as a group after racing tonight. I'm sure everyone has a
different take, but no need to send out emails to everyone on the list as
we hash it out. :)

Dan