Protests and 3 Minute Justice

Sam Wheeler swheeler at ucla.edu
Thu Jun 13 14:15:10 EDT 2013

I support Chad's proposal to go to a flat one circle system.

But if nothing else, the rules for the start should be clarified and/or revised. As they stand now (at least as I read them), a boat that fouls near the middle of the start line may only be required to do one turn, but a boat that fouls closer to either end would have to do two.  I think at the very least we should treat all start line fouls consistently.

Also, our current rules as written seem to require a two turn penalty for contact with a mark (Rule 31 violation), even if there is no right of way violation with respect to another boat (Part 2 violation).  This is an increase in severity compared to the standard RRS.  Is that intentional?

I've included the relevant part of the NOR/SI below.

Sam

-----

8 PENALTY SYSTEM

8.1 Competitors that commit a foul during a race shall exonerate themselves by taking a One-­Turn Penalty (1 turn in same direction with 1 tack & 1 gybe) when three or more boat lengths from any mark. This changes rule 44.1 and 44.2. [does this actually modify 44.2? looks like it just modifies 44.1 to me -sw]

8.2 If a foul is committed within the three­boat length circle of any mark, including the starting pin and race committee boat, a Two­-Turn Penalty (2 turns in same direction with 2 tacks & 2 gybes) is required to exonerate a boat. This changes rule 44.1.