V15 Fleet - Social Chairs Needed!

Sam Wheeler swheeler at ucla.edu
Wed Apr 15 14:06:34 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

Most of you know about this, but for anyone new to the fleet, we have a
tradition of one boat taking charge of food and drinks for each Thursday
night.  *Please sign up here to claim a week: http://bit.ly/v-15-social
<http://bit.ly/v-15-social>.*

There's more info below for people who are new to this or could use a
refresher.

*We currently need someone to sign up for tomorrow, April 16!*

Thanks - let's make it a great season.

Sam
Social Chair Chair
samwheeler.sail at gmail.com
(202) 365-4998

Sam’s note:

There are a lot of ways to do this.  I’m a big fan of bringing something
for the grill and hanging out at TISC, but if you prefer to arrange for
food and drinks at TI Bar & Grill that works too.

Everyone needs to claim a week.  Do what works for you - just as long as
there’s enough food and drinks for the fleet.  There’s an award at the end
of the year for best social chair though, so cook to impress.

Also, please include a vegetarian option if your plan for food involves
meat.

The other job that comes along with social chair is adding up and
announcing scores for both the Laser and Vanguard fleets.  This is pretty
straightforward but if you’re new to scorekeeping feel free to ask anyone
for help.

Don’t hesitate to email or call me if you have any questions.  Thanks!

Al’s more detailed note:

You and your skipper/crew (or you and some other friendly sailor) pair up
to feed the rest of the friendly sailors for the evening. Please bring BOTH
food and beer. Sailors like food. Sailors like beer. Sailors LOVE food and
beer together. You MUST sign up to social chair if you plan to sail at
least 3 nights over the course of the season.

   -

   DO: Sign up now for an open slot so I don’t have to hunt you down!!
   -

   DON’T double up if there are still empty slots. On Super Thursdays
   Svendsen’s Marine generously pays for beverages so this night does not ever
   need to double up.
   -

   DO: Take ownership of your night and switch with someone if you can’t
   make it; DON’T involve me.  Also, if you bail, I will let the hungry cold
   sailors know who to blame.  I will.  Don’t test me.
   -

   DO:  Bring enough food to constitute “dinner” i.e. not just chips.
   -

   DO:  Sign up to race a few days ahead so the social chair can plan
   accordingly.
   -

   DO: Get a headcount from the Laser fleet:
   http://tilaserfleet.org/schedule/
   -

   DO:  Have fun!! Bake, grill, rent out the TI bar and grill.  Whatever
   floats your boat!
   -

   DO: Arrive early and setup as much as possible prior to rigging up. Put
   drinks on ice, setup condiments, utensils, plates, etc. But don’t set out
   any food that a seagull can grab. Leave that in the shack instead.
   -

   DO: Use the fleet cooler, typically kept with the shed with our sails
   and boards.
   -

   DO: Plan on doing the scoring for the races (or getting a friend to
   help) and announcing the scores.
   -

   DO: Email the fleet to say where you plan to host social chair. Your
   choices are:
   -

      Serve at TISC. Costco <http://www.yelp.com/biz/costco-san-francisco>
      is a great place to buy food and drinks in bulk.
      -

      TI Bar & Grill
      <http://www.yelp.com/biz/treasure-island-bar-and-grill-treasure-island-3>
      -- just make sure they provide enough food since they often underestimate
      what hungry sailors eat and have run out of food in the past. They charge
      around $5/person, plus tip and tax.
      -

      Pizza from Oasis Cafe
      <http://www.yelp.com/biz/oasis-cafe-san-francisco-2> on TI.
      - DO: Coordinate with Svendsens if you’re hosting a Super Thursday.
   Our contact there is Matt Ford, mford at svendsens.com. Typically, the
   sailor(s) hosting buys drinks (keg or bottles) and submits a receipt to one
   of the Svendsens guys for reimbursement.