[Santana 22] Scombridae Sunday rocks

Pete Trachy pete at tolachi.com
Tue Apr 3 00:31:31 EDT 2007

I have to say that the starts improved hugely after the first one. I
remember the gun going off with Fun Zone at the pin and everybody else what
seemed like 10+ seconds off the line.  By the end I felt like even the
newest members of the fleet were really mixing it up and jockeying for
position on the line.  The fleet was quite varied with some veteran sailors
and other's who were seeing their first starting line, but everybody seemed
to get along OK.

I enjoyed practicing starts way more than I thought.  I kind of wish we had
followed John Super's advice to just practice more starts after lunch.
Which reminds me, I believe that was John's birthday!

There were a few new boats out that I want to recognize.  2nd mouse with
Kevin McElroy skippering and his brother Darren for crew.  They won a tie
breaker for third in the after lunch racing, which really impressed me.
Could it be that lightning fast yellow bottom?  Jennifer McKenna on West
Wind with Frank Lawler on board for coaching advice.  Pat, I hope those
weren't your race sails I saw.  Javier Jerez on Poniente with some new Hogin
sails.  West Wind and Poniente are both being refitted for racing and as of
yet don't have cabin top jib tracks and all the rest.

Lat 38.  Sutter showed up but we couldn't get the TI boat in the water.
Flat tires, people doing work on the docks, some questions about the
boat....  After an hour or so of messing about we called it a day.  Perhaps
we will be able to work something out at the next Sunday.  Maybe with a boat
that is set to go this time.

Thanks to Kevin McElroy and John Super for organizing!  It was great to kick
back and just enjoy the day.

Next Scombridae Sunday is April 22nd!  From the signup list it looks like we
are going to have a bigger turnout than last time.  If there is anything you
want to practice let Kevin (maplebar at gmail.com) know.

Pete