[Santana 22] Fw: RE: Here they are

Bill Murphy capnbill at lmi.net
Mon Aug 13 20:00:21 EDT 2007

I have the same cracks on my boat, and have had
them for years.  My hull number is 66, and I
think it was built in 1966 but I'm not sure.  I
hear that there is a new type of epoxy that they
put on iron keels to keep them from rusting, and
that it might keep this from happening. but you
never know.  I'm not an engineer, but from
looking at the configuration of the hull and keel
you have a non-flexible iron keel flange bolted
to a flexible fiberglass hull, and the gap
between the edge of the flange and the hull
changes with the working of the boat.  The hull
seems to have a pretty good size metal plate
molded into the fiberglass of the hull, and the
bolts go through the plate.  The gap between the
keel flange and the hull is probably stretched
and compressed even when the boat is on a
trailer, since it is resting on the keel when it
is on the trailer and subject to any bumps the
trailer goes over.  My intuitive feeling is that
trailering the boat on a bumpy road might even
flex the joint more than sailing it in anything
less than really choppy seas.