[Santana 22] Transom help, Tuna-knowledgeable surveyor

gb santana22.com at gregbiggers.com
Mon Dec 29 00:48:23 EST 2008

Happy Holidays everyone,

I am still on my quest to find that right boat that is raceworthy but
also nice enough to cruise a bit w/ the family.

Seen some ok boats lately (and let a great one escape while I was out of
town).

A few questions for you. 2 boats I have seen lately have different
issues, and I am trying to figure out how big a deal they are. Both are
early 70s models.

1) Model A is pretty solid but has some cracks at various places in the
top of the transom. Seems like it must have been the victim of a
collision.

Any thoughts on this and, if needs addressing, how much work it is to
reinforce the transom?

Pictures of Model A are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/gbincoming/S22_Transom?authkey=0lVBQ823_ms&feat=directlink

2) Model B is nice cuz it has a bow pulpit and pushpit/stern pulpit. The
issue I worry about on this boat is potential rot and separation from
leaking chainplates over the years. When I tapped on the tabbing of
glass to bulkhead, it didn't sound quite right.

Pictures of Model B here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/gbincoming/S22570?authkey=ibRn-QLngm0&feat=directlink

3) I am leaning toward doing either an in-water survey or an in-water
plus 10 minutes on the club hoist (to see the keel & fairing) type
survey. Do any of you know a surveyor you would recommend that knows
Tunas?

Thanks a bunch, and, as before, if the economy or an opportunity to
change boats leaves you ready to part w/ your Santana 22 around the SF
bay, Santa Cruz, or Monterey, please let me know ASAP!!!

Hope to join you on the water eventually...

Greg