[Santana 22] Transom help, Tuna-knowledgeable surveyor

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Mon Dec 29 01:14:13 EST 2008

Greg,

Model A doesn't look too bad, actually.  It doesn't look like a
collision - more like normal (well, "normal" for a 40-year old boat
with a plywood transom) lack of upkeep.  Have you crawled down under
the cockpit with the hammer and tapped, tapped?  Ditto to the outside
- all the way down.

If it sounds solid, you need to refinish/seal the top of the transom
and you're pretty much good to go with that problem.  What about the
rest of this boat?

Model B looks like a potential major project.  If the plywood is
okay, at the very least you have to grind off the tabbing and re-do
it.  Not the most major job, but a dirty, itchy one.  If the wood's
punky, you have a major replacement ahead of you.  The interior was
built before they attached the deck/cabin.  Now you have to get the
old bulkhead out - and it's attached to the forepeak on one side and
the table structures on the other.   Then you have to grind off all
the tabbing to the hull, get the new bulkhead squeezed through the
hatch, into place, and re-tabbed.  Whew!  I don't think the hi-fi
system is worth it.

There must be better looking Tunas around somewhere.  I have a
trailer you can borrow for transport if you find one out of area and
need to drag it in.

If a "great one escaped" recently, another is likely going to show up
soon.  Don't be anxious.  And, yes, a hoist out is a must!

Pat Broderick
former "Elaine"