[Santana 22] sail numbers

broderic at sonic.net broderic at sonic.net
Thu Aug 18 23:46:26 EDT 2011

adam,

You can actually use any number that's not being used by another Tuna -
that would be confusing.  The 5170 sail number is how it is registered
with YRA - all the Tunas were originally 5100 something or other.  A new
YRA number would be 5 numbers, something like 38999.  Far too many for the
mail sail's size.

Although the original 5170 would work just fine, YRA probably doesn't have
complete records going back that far.  If it were my boat I'd go with
5170.

About a PHRF Certificate.  Tunas have two ratings:  234 if you use the 150
% genoa or 237 if you only use the class lapper (about 120%). Having or
not having a spinnaker makes no difference.  This is for a "stock boat"
that hasn't been altered.  I suspect most of the "rotten row" Alameda
boats are stock.

MIchael can help with the Santana 22 Class Certificate, but you really
don't need that to race PHRF beer cans.  The beer can RCs will only ask
for your YRA PHRF Cert. - and some of them won't even do that.

I do, however, think it's important to get measured for the Santana
certificate so you know the boat is standard.One thing you'll really want
to do is sail in the Tuna Nationals when they're held in SF Bay. It's a
blast and you'll kick yourself all the way to Alviso if you don't do it.

Pat Broderick
former Tuna owner/past YRA  Chairman